Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Introduction Words from the Author

Taking into consideration that I learned to play gospel music at the same time I began my formal piano training. I decided it would be a good idea to write a book with the same idea in mind, which is, to teach the fundamentals of playing the paino while focusing the student's attention on playing gospel and the blues. In view of the fact that blues and gospel are so closely related, especially in the early development of gospel. I decided to touch upon both genres.

Many people want to play the piano. As a matter of fact, I jokingly say to my colleagues that, "Everybody fantasizes about being a piano player." I don't know anyone who can walk by a piano and resist the temptation to touch those 88's and hear that wonderful sound that only the piano can make, especially if it's in tune. It is my desire to help you fulfill this fantasy. I would also like to remove the fear that says, "I'm just too old to learn how to play the piano." You can do it and at the same time learn the basics of gospel and blues. Let's face reality though - not everyone is going to become a concert pianist or even make a living at playing the paino but then again, it is not everyone's desire to be a concert pianist. The resons for learning to play the paino vary from person to person. Some people only want to be able to play a song they have always loved listening to. Others only want to play a song well enough to impress that certain person in their life and some people just want a quick fix, "I want to play the piano and I want to do it now!" Believe me, I know where you're coming from. A lot of people feel guilty for having these motives and say, "I really should concentrate on my scales and all of the other technical exercises, because that's the way it's supposed to be done." And the guilt sets in. I've known people who have postponed taking piano lessons because they said they didn't have the time or disciplne to take their piano "seriously." Now years have gone by and they regret not taking piano lessons earlier. But who says you have to follow a set pattern of rules in order to play the piano? Who said it's a sin to play songs for fun or songs that you enjoy playing? NO ONE!! Why should you feel guilty for wanting to be able to play only one particular song and that's it? I'm here to tell you to, "drop the guilt and bury the excuses." Whatever your personal reasons are, it's OK.

Am I saying settle for second best? No, I'm saying be for real. When the "moonwalk" first came out I had a fantasy of doing this dance. But because I was grown and everythang I was too embarrassed to ask anyone to show me how to do it. So I signed up for a dance class, not with the intention of becoming a great dancer - or changing professions and trying out for A Chorus Line: I signed up just to learn how to moon-walk. The teacher showed us all of the basics and stretches and all of that stuff, then she finally said, towards the end of the course, "Today we are going to learn how to do some of those dances that all of you have been dreaming about." When she said the moon-walk, I said, "Yeah!" (to myself, of course). I believe if she would have presented this at the beginning of the course she would have lost half of her class, (You, see, I wasn't the only in-the-closet-moon-walker-lover). It was all worth it! I learned how to do a lot of dances besides the moon-walk and other dance techniques that would help me advance further if that was my desire. But let's face it, I'll never be Michael Jackson, or Hammer, or the great Fred Astaire, but I do believe if I wanted it badly enough and worked very  hard, it would be mine for the taking. Therefore, my books were written with ths philosphy in mind; "Although there is no limit to what you can attain, your own personal desire and ambition are all you need to begin, whether it's just to play a simple song or to become a great concert pianist."

It is my desire that (with the help of one of my books) you can learn the basics or the advance techniques of playing the piano. However, you can build on the basics and go further. How accomplished you become as a pianist depends on how much time and effort you choose to devote to your talent. My books are also for those who already play the piano or direct a choir or who simply have the desire to sharpen up their music reading skills. Please feel free to jump into whichever book you desire to start with. I hope my books will assist you in learning a few songs or styles that you've always desired to play. If it is your desire to play more than just a few songs, continue to pursue it - IT"S POSSIBLE! Now, try one of my books, and let's get down to business!!!

Sincerely,
Dr. Jefferson
Check us out at:www.jeffersonpresents.com  

3 comments:

  1. I like your analogy about the moon-walk. Good point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert....YOU are the MAN. I Love your approach and I love your philosophy. I really want to get your books.

    When I starting to learn the piano I had a few things I wanted to learn, one of them was parts of a Chopin piano concerto. I learned most of it but never learned all of the stuff I was "Supposed to Know". Didn't matter, I got what I wanted out of it. I'm so impressed that this is your approach. Not everyone wants to be on stage. But most people want to play something on those ivories.

    I've never heard anyone say "Man...I wish my parents had made me quit!" BUT... I hear all the time, "I SO wish I had never quit playing xxxx" It's not too late. Just start and play something! The years will go by either way.

    Good lock Robert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a different style to Gospel for sure!

    ReplyDelete